The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has reacted to the criticism trailing the irregularities in the preliminary voters’ register.
On Saturday, the commission published the preliminary register of voters’ for the 2023 elections across LGAs and on its website.
Since the release of the voter register, some Nigerians have taken to social media with snapshots of sections of the register showing pictures of persons who appear to be below the age of 18.
Some of the snapshots posted also showed what appear to be multiple registrations in some states.
Checks by newsmen also revealed multiple registrations in states like Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe.
Reacting to the development in a statement on Thursday, Festus Okoye, INEC spokesperson, said the commission is aware of some “infractions” committed by officials on ineligible registrations.
Okoye also said all complaints regarding the voters’ register will be addressed.
“So far, the commission has been harvesting the online claims and objections,” he said.
“We will do the same for the manual process. At the end of the exercise, all claims and objections made will be addressed.
“In this way, citizens are contributing to the strengthening of our electoral process.
“It is therefore in the foregoing context that recent media reports on the presence of ineligible registrants in the register should be seen.
“The full display of all registrants speaks to the commission’s commitment to transparency. The fact that these likely ineligible registrants are being identified means that the objectives of the display for claims and objections are being met.
“We implore the public to follow the procedures and report these objections for the necessary action of the commission.
“In addition, the commission cannot rule out infractions by its registration officials in allowing these ineligible persons into the register in the first place.
“Therefore, each confirmed case of infraction will be thoroughly investigated and culpable officials will be disciplined.”