The Philippine National Police has filed murder cases against the suspected six Chinese persons said to have been involved in the killing of a Nigerian medical student, Chibuikem Emmanuel, in the country.
The deceased’s friend in a chat with our correspondent on X via @michaelojuola on Tuesday disclosed that the suspects’ photos and information had been “sent to all the airports around so they don’t escape, they are still searching for them.”
According to the X user on Sunday, Chibuikem was allegedly murdered by a group of Chinese. He disclosed that the deceased died of alleged torture by his assailants who tied his hands and mouth and subsequently beat him to death.
He said the incident happened at Orlacson Street, 6014, Mandaue City, Philippines. He further disclosed to our correspondent that the issue began around October 19 and was premised upon a demand for commission for Chibuikem’s girlfriend who is a Philippine.
“There was a heated argument among the deceased, his girlfriend and the head of the company who happens to be a Chinese woman. The argument was because of the commission Chibuikem’s girlfriend was supposed to get,” the friend said.
According to him, the matter later degenerated when two vehicles came to the premises and the occupants took Chibuikem away claiming they were taking him to the police station for constituting a nuisance. It was later discovered by the deceased’s allies that Chibuikem was not taken to the station. According to his friend, a bus later came to drop the student off in front of the police station with his hands tied and scars on his face.
Chibuikem was later pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital, he further disclosed.
Recall that the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission on Monday said it would investigate the alleged killing of the student, according to a statement by the commission’s spokesperson, Abdur-Rahman Balogun.
“The commission will set the machinery in motion to investigate the matter and unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident,” the spokesperson said.
When contacted on Tuesday, Abdur-Rahman said the commission would only rely on information it got from the Nigerian embassy in the Philippines and that of the complainant to aid its investigation, adding, “So, we’re still investigating.”
The National Association of Nigerian Students also demanded justice for the deceased.
It was learnt on Tuesday that the Mandaue City Police Office had filed cases of murder against the six Chinese nationals, who allegedly killed the Nigerian, who died on October 21, a Philippines-based media outfit, Cebu Daily News, reported.
Police Lieutenant Colonel Franco Oriol, who is the MCPO deputy city director for administration and spokesperson, said they were able to identify four of the six Chinese allegedly involved and murder cases were filed against them.
“According to the witness, the Nigerian national refused to work there on the job that he was given, and the Chinese allegedly suspected him of sexually harassing one of their co-workers. According to our witnesses, the Nigerian was mauled in the other room,” the CDN quoted the police spokesperson as saying.
It was however learnt that the deceased’s girlfriend strongly denied the allegation.
The police said they were still verifying the accusation of the Chinese. There is also a possibility that it was just the cover-up of their mauling, he said, according to CDN.
Madukwe B. Nwabuisi is an accomplished journalist renown for his fearless reporting style and extensive expertise in the field. He is an investigative journalist, who has established himself as a kamikaze reporter.