There are some day when you just want to treat yourself or you want something different from the regular Sunday Rice & Stewwwww….
If this is you then you need to continue reading on how to make SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN/PORK
Many of us are familiar with this sauce, having eaten it at events or at a fancy buffet but we don’t know it’s quite easy to also make at home.
I have put together a fairly easy recipe on achieving the same delicious sauce for you and your family so let’s get started!
Pro tip: prepare your worktable and make sure you have all the ingredients before you start.
Also, clean your vegetables, chop the neccesaries and don’t forget to egg and coat your chicken as soon as you put the oil on fire
- Large thigh chicken or medium cut pork
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup spring onion
- ½ cup soy sauce, divided
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups cornstarch
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- ¼ pineapple chopped
- ¼ pineapple juiced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- cooked white rice, to serve with
- Cut the chicken into cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add the garlic, black pepper, spring onions, and ¼ cup soy sauce. Toss to coat the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat until it reaches 180˚C.
- Put the eggs and cornstarch into 2 separate small bowls. Coat the chicken in the egg, then in the cornstarch. fry until crispy and golden (about 2 minutes). Drain on paper towels so the excess oil is removed
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a clean large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté until tender.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the pineapple and syrup. Stir for 30 seconds, then add the vinegar, remaining ¼ cup soy sauce, sugar, and ketchup. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes, until the liquid evaporates and the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with finely chopped spring onions if you desire.
If you made this recipe, post a picture of your finished product to our social media page with hashtag #MaverickRecipes.
Also, let us know the technical parts that stymied you so we can improve on simplifying the recipes for everybody